Last class, we formed final groups and created a list of patents we would look into. I'm very excited to work more with my group, especially because all of us have such different backgrounds. We have two engineers, a biology major, and another business student like myself. When looking through our patents list to pick our top 5, we ran into some issues understanding the technology and applicability of some of them. For example, the energy patents were very cool but we had no idea of how they actually worked. I actually had to leave class early and wish I could've stayed to do the lego game! My team later told me more about it and it seemed like an interesting exercise.
We met up as a group on Tuesday and decided to vote on our top 5 out of the list we had and each person would write up a slide of that patent. I ended up picking the occupant-tracking fan that I had seen during the first week, as I think it's an applicable and feasible idea to form a company around. One of my team members is a civil engineer so it might be interesting to see how her ideas play into that.
It seems like our team is coming together and hopefully next week, we'll be able to pick a single patent that we all really like and get started on our startup idea!
Hi Alka, I agree that some patents could be difficult to understand at the start. It's a pity that you could not attend the Lego Game, it was really interesting! Good luck with selecting your patent idea!
ReplyDeleteHi Alka! The fan sounds like a really cool and useful technology. Something I could definitely see being widely used.
ReplyDeleteJust wanted to second your thoughts about having no idea as to how the patent works! A lot of them are very very complex. I don't think that's a problem, but I think it's important to have a presentation-level knowledge of the patent in order to effectively pitch.
ReplyDelete